Friday 23.10.09 El Cable

Today, the partially roofed veranda of a boarded up cabin near the cable car acts as a temporary studio for us. With some protection I can see the bad weather in a new light and enjoy trying to capture the fading and reappearing peaks, even when low driving rain eventually gets the better of my attempts.
After drying off in the café, I make another painting which the rain destroys and I abandon at around 4 p.m. when I see a huge gregarious flock of Alpine choughs wheeling around a peak called Aguas de Tajahierro. I quickly try to capture the movement of the black mass of wings fading in and out of obscurity as they swirl around the white shrouded peaks. Their movement is poetic symmetry within a monochrome landscape, a living sansuiga painting of minimal brush work; ephemeral, fluid, fluxing, rich, barren and dynamic.
We Descend 3 hours via Puertos Aliva and find a nocturnal fire salamander amongst a pool of frogs milling underneath a cattle grid.
.

Pena Vieja, Shenaz Khimji

No comments:

Post a Comment